Your initial consultation for eyelid surgery is the perfect time to ask all of your burning questions regarding the procedure. Rest assured no question is too big or too small. To help you prepare for your consultation, Scottsdale oculoplastic surgeon Dr. Ali Ghafouri would like to offer the following list of important questions to ask your surgeon.
Get to Know the Doctor
Because eyelid surgery involves operating on one of the most delicate areas on the body, it’s important to choose a reputable surgeon with the training, experience and skill needed to achieve great results. Here are important questions to ask during your consultation:
- Where did you attend medical school?
- Where did you complete your resident training?
- Are you licensed by the state to practice medicine?
- Is your surgical facility accredited by a national- or state-recognized accrediting agency?
- Are you trained to perform eyelid surgery (upper eyelid, lower eyelid or both)?
- Are you board certified?
- Do you specialize in eyelid surgery?
- How many eyelid surgeries have you performed?
- What is your success rate?
- Can I read testimonials from your past eyelid surgery patients?
- Do you have before and after photos of your past work?
Familiarize Yourself with the Procedure
Is eyelid surgery the right procedure for what you’re trying to achieve? Your initial consultation is the best time to learn more about the ins and outs of the procedure, including whether it’s right for you. It’s also important to be completely transparent with your surgeon about your concerns and goals. Your surgeon will use this information to determine the best treatment plan. Be sure to ask the following:
- Am I a candidate for plastic surgery?
- What does eyelid surgery accomplish?
- What is the difference between upper and lower eyelid surgery?
- What are the complications and risks associated with eyelid surgery?
- Where will my surgery be performed?
- How long does the procedure take to complete?
- How should I prepare for my day of surgery?
- What happens during the surgery?
- Will anesthesia be used?
- Are there any side effects?
- How do you handle complications?
- When will I be released from the hospital/surgical facility?
Learn about the Recovery Process
The recovery period is one of the most important aspects of any surgical procedure. Make sure to ask the following:
- How long does the recovery take?
- Will I be prescribed any medications for pain and discomfort?
- Will I need to wear an eyepatch?
- When can I resume wearing makeup?
- How soon can I go out in public?
- When can I return to work/my regular routine?
- How soon can I drive after eyelid surgery?
- When do I attend my first follow-up visit?
- Who do I contact in case a complication arises?
- How can I maintain my results long-term?
To learn more about eyelid surgery, contact respected oculoplastic surgeon Dr. Ghafouri. Schedule a one-on-one consultation with the doctor by calling (480) 905-1010.